There are those who live their lives on instagram, and then there are those who make their living out of promoting themselves there. But it is part of facebook, and facebook mines data on you for advertisers. As Brother Didact says, if you are not paying for it, you are the product.
And the managerial caste are attempting to remove any ability to speak that the alogrithms permit, because they fear people may hear an alternative to their propaganda.
After Biden shockingly denounced Facebook and others as “killing people” because they are allegedly letting COVID misinformation run rampant on their platforms, that pressure now continues in media reports, like the one The Washington Post published, citing three anonymous administration sources.
According to them, The White House and Facebook have had a series of meetings whose aim was to get the social media giant to turn over massive amounts of user data to the government, apparently as a “good will gesture” – since there doesn’t seem to be any legal ground for such a request.
Instead, the “tense” meetings saw the administration’s COVID crew “begging” Facebook to give them access to data showing how many people on Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp see content branded as coronavirus misinformation, how many are still undecided whether to get the jab, and also the efficiency of Facebook’s censorship algorithms, i.e., how many people still get to see content that it aims to block.
It’s not obvious why the officials quoted by the article thought Facebook was under obligation to do this, but they accused the company of “hiding, filibustering and deflecting” – while at the same time commending Google and Twitter for apparently being much more accommodating in similar meetings around the same subject.
If that is not bad enough, locally social media is not merely monitored, It is manipulated.
The COVID-19 Group is responsible for integration of strategy and policy, system readiness and planning, insights and reporting, system risk and assurance, and public engagement and communications.
We are seeking to appoint at pace a fixed term Senior Analyst whose role will be to actively monitor open source social media channels, to triage across these channels and to case-manage issues. You will work as part of a small team in DPMC and connect in with a larger cross-government networks, working to respond to, and build resilience to, disinformation in New Zealand. You will be working in a fast-paced dynamic environment and have the opportunity to shape future capability development.
Stay the hell away from social media. If you have to be on social media, be as vanilla as possible. No snark, no memes.
The government think this is where the real conversations happen. This is incorrect.
They happen face to face, in places they cannot monitor. With our government Moscow rules apply
- Technology will always let you down.
- Murphy is right.
- Never go against your gut.
- Always listen to your gut; it is your operational antennae.
- Everyone is potentially under opposition control.
- Don’t look back; you are never completely alone. Use your gut.
- Go with the flow; use the terrain.
- Take the natural break of traffic.
- Maintain a natural pace.
- Establish a distinctive and dynamic profile and pattern.
- Stay consistent over time.
- Vary your pattern and stay within your profile.
- Be non threatening: keep them relaxed; mesmerize!
- Lull them into a sense of complacency.
- Know the opposition and their terrain intimately.
- Build in opportunity but use it sparingly.
- Don’t harass the opposition.
- Make sure they can anticipate your destination.
- Pick the time and place for action.
- Any operation can be aborted; if it feels wrong, then it is wrong.
- Keep your options open.
- If your gut says to act, overwhelm their senses.
- Use misdirection, illusion and deception.
- Hide small operative motions in larger non threatening motions.
- Float like a butterfly; sting like bee.
- When free, In Obscura, immediately change direction and leave the area.
- Break your trail and blend into the local scene.
- Execute a surveillance detection run designed to draw them out over time.
- Once is an accident; twice is a coincidence; three times is an enemy action.
- Avoid static lookouts; stay away from chokepoints where they can reacquire you.
- Select a meeting site so you can overlook the scene.
- Keep any asset separated from you by time and distance until it is time.
- If the asset has surveillance, then the operation has gone bad.
- Only approach the site when you are sure it is clean.
- After the meeting or act is done, “close the loop” at a logical cover destination.
- Be aware of surveillance’s time tolerance so they aren’t forced to raise an alert.
- If an alert is issued, they must pay a price and so must you.
- Let them believe they lost you; act innocent.
- There is no limit to a human being’s ability to rationalize the truth.